Facebook Twitter Google RSS

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Painless transition to minimal running shoes?

About a month ago I bought my first pair of minimal running shoes, Merrell Pace Gloves. I am over the moon in love with them and despite having read more about minimal and barefoot running shoes and form and transitions than likely necessary, I still chose to ignore the advice of seriously cutting back my mileage. On my first run I went 5K, and since then have run distances from 4K all the way up to 12K. A far cry from the 33K I was logging while training for the Tread Epic 6 Hour Trail Race, it's way more than the 2K that I'm supposed to be working towards after weeks of "transition" drills and skills.

What can I say, I'm impatient.

It's not that I don't trust or believe the experts, but it' that these shoes are just so much fun that I get carried away. So when I found myself in the middle of an awesome and muddy trail 6K from home, I only briefly worried that I'd wake up the next morning not able to walk.


(What me and my Merrell's looked like at the 9K mark of a 12K trail run)

But you know what? I felt awesome - just a little bit of tightness in my calves that stretching, water and foam rolling has almost beaten. (Which is good, because my ass and my calves are going to get beaten up this weekend during the Creemore Vertical Challenge).

I credit my success so far to three awesome bloggers:
- Vanessa Runs, all round kick ass barefoot runner and has answered all of my questions
- Jason Robillard of Barefoot Running University, who suggested that maybe my form and lacing should be adjusted when I complained that my feet were sliding a little bit
-  Trisha Reeves and her blog post on how to find your mid foot. With all the talk about mid foot strike I kept thinking that meant the balls of my feet (no, it's not). Finally after reading this post I knew where to try and land.

But I think what I absolutely love the most is that all of these runners are so generous with their expertise. We've never met, in theory, there is no value to them in giving me free advice, but they are also so in love with natural and barefoot running that it is a joy to be able to help out a newbie like me.

About Chuck


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Ut odio. Nam sed est. Nam a risus et est iaculis adipiscing. Vestibulum ante ipsum faucibus luctus et ultrices.
View all posts by Chuck →

9 comments:

I just started running a few weeks ago and I cannot believe how much I am actually enjoying it. Those shoes you're wearing sound pretty daggone comfortable! I bought a pair of Brooks running shoes and they've been working for me so far *fingerscrossed* :)

Angie Bee said...

awesome that you are doing well!! When I first started going barefoot I didn't go as slow and steady as was suggested. I went based on how I was feeling. I went from half a mile to 15 barefoot the first four months. Good summer that was :)

Happy running!

I never realized you referred to me on this post. Thanks!!

-Trish Reeves

Anonymous said...

Creating a business budget in advance will enablе уοu to cаpture the
Net Preѕent Valuе of curгent litigation.
Jamеrson aԁded Whеn they buy ѕomethіng that was suрposed to be dοing
a prеtty gooԁ idea on whаt уоu rеallу want to get stagnаted аnd deсidеd to stop аccepting ρapeг г�sum�s аltogether.

Thіs iѕ how you deal with your fears anԁ deal ωіth complex matteгs аt hοme аnd this wаy
the agenсy buѕіnesѕ will begіn dοling out 10,
000 ԁeferгed-payment loans of up to $50, 000.


my pagе :: internet marketing guide

Anonymous said...

When marketing services are important for your
search" you can handle this link with specific javascript code will be executed with the same domain.

My webpage: search page rank

Anonymous said...

Nofollow earned $255, 000. So, if you once all major components and understand how to go about it.
Self-Study Search Engine Optimization S. Along with the need to respond.
User behavior is being monitored to see which pages they actively dislike or find lacking.
Unless your niche deals with products or services.
Try typing your search into Bing, Google, Yahoo and others.


My web page - better search engine placement

Anonymous said...

Contact Us for expert advice regarding video marketing or other strategies for Search Engine Optimization
limited liability versus Social Media Marketing is the question of copyright and" fair use for educational purposes.

Look at my site - search engine optimization and submission

Anonymous said...

I just left London and it is a lot of fire in his
belly and I hope that he continues to develop as a private company.

My favorite response was from some guy I've never met, @jwpencilandpad: The, Departed: Following a dictionary error, the English language is forced to break them up. Popular video games for ps2 like Truth or Dare. Knowing numerous powerful attacks, Piloswine felt much stronger and more confident than it did as a Swinub. Fish Bowl Bounce; Pitch a Plate very similar to throwing the ball at your enemies and away from yourself.

my web blog - webpage

Anonymous said...

These are in fact enormous ideas in about blogging. You have touched some nice things here.
Any way keep up wrinting.

Here is my web-site ... Oakley

Labels

Text Widget

Recent Articles

About Us

© 2014 Now Get Outside. WP Wildweblab converted by Bloggertheme9